Sunday, February 22, 2015

Getting Married! (Confinement Week Part 2)



The Rifle presentation ceremony marked the start of the second week of confinement. We were all issued our SAR21s, and from that day onward, we were "married". Sworn to protect our newly wedded wives with our lives, I felt... a sense of pride to receive my weapon (sounds damn fake, I know). To me, it felt as though I have officially started becoming a soldier. Although we have yet to test or fire it. And thus, incidents of recruits losing their rifles and magazines during training started. Rifles were stolen by sergeants when they weren't locked up properly in our bunks and magazines were taken when recruits slung their rifles on their backs, out of their sight. Luckily, only warnings were given this time. At the back of my head, I know that punishments are going t o be way worse.

Dealing with Fatigue, Illness and Injury

As confinement week dragged on, we soon hit a stretch of about 4 days of back to back physical activity. Basic close combat training (BCCT), Standard obstacle course (SOC), strength and speed training and so on. That, coupled with 5-6 hours of sleep, made many of us very fatigued. Cough and flu were also spreading around the company as a result. Injury also became an issue during this period as accidents, especially during SOC caused a few of the recruits to be relieved from duty for a few days.

My advice in short
1. Sleep as much as you can when you need it, but keep alert. (sounds contradictory, but deal with it)
2. Bring cough syrup, Strepsils, vitamin c pills, whatever. You'll need it!
3. Be careful! Assess the possible dangers of any activity, and stretch properly! Warmup conducted before physical activity are not enough in my opinion 

Wish me luck and safety! I'll see you all next week

No comments:

Post a Comment