Saturday, May 9, 2015

A New Beginning

After our graduation parade, we were given a week off. Needless to say, I enjoyed it to the fullest of its potential. Spending time with friends, gaming and going for university admission interviews - you name it. Thursday morning brought new surprises.

Our posting order.

I logged online to retrieve my posting order. I was surprised to receive my unit allocation - the Singapore Armour Regiment, which also meant that I wasn't going to command school like much of my friends. I felt slightly disappointed being left out. But then I changed my mentality towards NS as more of a job instead. That made me view the army and NS in a different light.

I was posted to the Armour as an Armored Fighting Vehicle Operator. (sounds step right?)



After learning about Armour and being in the unit for a few weeks, let me answer a few questions regarding Armour and straighten some misconceptions.

1. What is Armour?
An Armour basically means any armored vehicle. This can include Battle Tanks, Infantry Fighting Vehicles (IFV), Armored Transports and Armored Amphibious Vehicles.

2. What kinds of vocations are there in Armour?
 Armour is split into 2 kinds of vocations. Main Battle Tanks as well as Armored Infantry

Main Battle Tanks consist of large heavily armored tanks with high firepower. These are tanks like the Leopard 2SG. A German tank modified for Singapore


Armored Infantry is in its most basic sense of the word is an infantry unit (ground troops). The only difference is that AI units are transported by IFVs instead of walking on foot. IFVs can include the Bionix (BX for short)

Hence, as an AFV/IFV operator, I'm the person driving the vehicle, transporting the infantry.

Next time: Getting a driving license for a tank!?

Writers note: the posts over from now into the future are going to be less frequent. That's because things are going to be much slower in unit. I'll still keep this blog active till I finish my service and maybe even update it during my reservist years

No comments:

Post a Comment